Thursday, October 14, 2010

CELTA Day 4 - TP 2

Splitting headache.

Didn't sleep well last night cos what I thought would have been an easier lesson plan turned out to be more challenging than I imagined. At 10pm, I had a rough skeleton but no meat for the lead-in (context setting) and main aim - GRAMMAR-teaching, my Achilles' heel!

The reason that grammar comes naturally to us and it's hard to teach doesn't quite stand now. I really need to put in more effort here.

Another's pronunciation. How do you pronounce advertisement*? Can you tell the difference between petrol and patrol? Why didn't our English teachers' teachers' teachers at school acquire proper word stress from their British teachers? Why does our Singaporean English have such a bad rep! :(

***

As I was typing this, my Canadian fellow trainee just came by to vent his pent-up frustration. The man's near retirement and he admits that it's hard for him to keep up in this mad race.

We've been truly overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of "Cambridge work". Can't wait for the weekend to unwind and reflect.

***
TP2: Grade S

***
PS: No Dad, besides a guy who's lived in HK for 15 years and is now a Brit, I'm the only other non-white. I'm not that conscious of the difference in skin colour now, and interacting with my ang-moh peers has certainly helped in my pronunciation and accent.

*ad-VER-tise-ment


No comments:

Post a Comment